Tuesday, February 5, 2008

a good day for practice

NOTE: You might find parts of this gross.

As E blogged yesterday, our dog ate a bandage off her leg sometime on Sunday night. Our worst fear was that she would have issues passing the bandage and need some help from the vet. Well, this morning assured us that she wouldn't need any help. She was quite anxious to get going on her walk. She took care of business and I thought it was over.

E went to get a haircut after work, so she wished me well on arriving home to no presents from the pup. Not so. Even sick, our pup is amazing. She always goes to the farthest corner of the basement (which is not finished...concrete floor) when she is sick. I called the vet who said as long as she is acting normal and has normal energy, she could have ground beef and rice and would probably be fine. I made her dinner and headed to the basement to clean up. I got upstairs, mixed her dinner together and walked over to turn on the tv. Of course, she had gotten sick on the carpeting. Arghhh!!! So, I cleaned that up with the little carpet cleaning machine. (The same scenario happened this summer, and when I called E to tell her she laughed so heartily that I almost hung up on her.)

Then, it was back to the kitchen to clean the cleaning machine, clean up the dishes from the dog dinner and super duper cleaning of all the kitchen counters.

So, I guess this is a good day for practice as a mom.

****

E has been a little unlike herself.

Evidence #1:
It's true that she "made" me drive her for over an hour to a small town to look for a chair. When we stopped for lunch, I said I couldn't eat because I was so anxiety-ridden from the white knuckle drive. Let's just say she wasn't happy with me. She has been looking for a swivel/rocker/glider with ottoman for the nursery for months. We didn't find the chair, so we turned around and headed home. The plows and salt trucks had been out and the roads were wet instead of slippery. That was when I decided to stop and eat lunch. I think E was ready to leave me there and drive herself home.

While E has no problem telling me what to do, she is usually quite aware of how I feel and doesn't push too hard. I think baby hormones are changing the landscape for a while.

Evidence #2:
I was getting ready to walk the dog yesterday when E got home and came to wave goodbye to us from the front window. She walked into the room and just looked different. I asked what was up and she said, "I was sad on the way home" and started crying. I asked why and she said, "I don't know" with a smile and tears. While I wanted to comfort her, it was also very funny. She stood there with a silly smile on her face and tears streaming down her face. She rarely cries.

Again, the baby hormones.

***

In other news, we are looking forward to our third snow day of the school year, which is just unheard of. However, I doubt we'll be going tomorrow given that the prediction is for over 10" of snow, the heaviest in the morning.

m

1 comment:

Kevo said...

heh, lucky! a third snow day? =] i'm fairly certain i'll still have school. woohoo!...i think...