Tuesday, September 4, 2007

it's all sinking in

It's been a few days since we got the positive HPT, and I think things are just sinking in. After the first two HPTs, E was calm and happy. However, when we saw the third stick that actually said PREGNANT, she was a little shocked. I think that's when it clicked with her that she's really pregnant. With me, it happens very slowly. Odd moments when I think how different next year will be...that it won't be a quiet house where we're in charge of our own schedules. I have moments when I am ecstatic. I have moments when I am completely freaked out. I take a few deep breaths and remind myself that people do this every day and everyone is fine.

E and I process things very differently. I think we'll be happy and healthy. E will not be convinced until the first trimester is over, the second trimester is over, and ultimately, not until we are holding a healthy baby. She is reading books and blogs and websites, thirsting for more information. I tend to look at the ads in the paper and think, "hmmm...wonder if we'll need that." We are like this with everything...buying cars, planting the garden, and now, having a baby. We call my approach walking around it and hers the direct route. It works for us.

School has started and it's hard for me not to shout to everyone that we are having a baby. It's also very odd to think that before the year is over I will be a mom. Mostly, I feel very lucky. I have a beautiful, wonderful, loving, funny partner who I will watch turn into a beautiful, wonderful, loving, funny mom.

m

3 comments:

E. from Pot o' Gold said...

Hi,
I found your blog through 2 Moms-It Can Be Done. I'm a teacher also (I'm assuming you're a teacher) and this time last year, I was in my first trimester of pregnancy and not telling anyone at school. It was hard, especially since another woman in my dept. was pregnant and everyone was so excited for her. However, time flies - and before you know it, you will be telling people, attending baby showers and then going on maternity leave. Have fun! The joy is just beginning. :)

Holly said...

It's SOOOOOO exciting!
Congrats again! Enjoy all of this!
In no time a screaming baby will be here!!!

Anonymous said...

We were only away for a week! What great news to come back to!! Congrats to you both!!