Saturday, September 29, 2007

All in 10 different colors

We did it. We finally took the huge step in accepting we are going to have a baby. It was monumental. We went and walked around Babies-r-Us. If you have never been to Babies-r-Us it is like a huge Target just for baby stuff.

We walked around for about an hour just browsing and checking this out. Tons of choices. Too many choices. Bottles, wipes, diaper bags, cribs, sheets, chairs, nuks, bibs, clothes, car seats, playpens, huge strollers, little strollers, toys, mobiles, and all in about 10 different color choices. Completely overwhelming. I finally looked at M and said, "Okay. I have had enough."

Where do you start? On Little House on the Prairie they had a cradle at the end of the bed that Paw had made. Woman in 3rd-world countries are lucky to have anything at all and I spent an hour of my life in a mega store for someone that is currently the size of large tadpole. I know that I am blessed to live in an industrialized nation and I do have the means to provide for my child in almost any way, but good grief. How much does one tiny person need?

So, my question to blogland is this: If you already have a child.....What did you really need? And, what was just crap?

E-

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We wouldn't have survived (or slept) without the baby bjorn.

Melissa said...

I'm not pregnant yet but I did purchase a book called Baby Bargains for 2 women in my book club who are pregnant. They said it was extremely helpful in figuring out the best things to purchase and what items were necessities. Maybe you could flip through it next time you're at the book store.

Unknown said...

Well, I didn't have baby car seats but I think they are a good idea. I didn't have dispsoal diapers and think that's a good idea, I didn't have baby monitors so Mother's instinct was sharp and that still works, What was most need in material goods was the binky or pa
the lightest weight stroller possible, it gets hard putting in and out of the car. Next would be the great baby swing....they love that of course we only had one choice you've got hundreds, nurse skip the first bottles, to tired to wash, set up and fix anyway. Let see use your singing voice baby likes your sound better than the music boxes and they don't stay turned on long enough. And one really good baby blanket.....choose it best as it will stay with them for years. Well I'll think on it more and let you know later....it's been a few years and I'm sure more will come back to me...Love NM

Holly said...

OK. Here's my 2 cents. We went and registered with someone who already had a baby so, we limited ourselves.
We also discovered things on our own.
We never used the baby bjorn. If we could have put Andrew in our kitchen sink, we never would have needed a bathtub. You only need a regular baby monitor, not the video one.
We didn't need the "inclined to sleep" thing.
The Boppy is the best $20 ever spent.
We loved having a travel system (Britax) and still use the stroller. But we like having a nice light umbrella stroller as well (one that reclines if you want to spend the money - Maclaren Techno is my favorite but it's a fortune)
The swing was worth it's weight in gold.
So was the bouncey seat/vibrating seat thing.
I'll have to think of some more and I'll be back.

Two Mamas said...

Congrats!

We're about 2 weeks behind you and already have a 2 1/2 year old daughter.

There's tons of stuff out there that will just make a dent in your pocket book. ie. wipes warmer.

We decided to get a "mall stroller" and a "city stroller". We went with the Peg Perego Aria and the Maclaren Volo. Both have been great and it's nice to have one in each car!

Best wishes and congrats!
Shawna
www.chiutenblack.com

E. from Pot o' Gold said...

Get a Boppy! If you plan on nursing (or even if you don't) because it's the handiest thing you'll ever have. If you have a two level home, you might want to have two. We're constantly going up or down the stairs to get the Boppy. Also, buy lots and lots of bibs. You'll need them in the drooling stages and when you start solid foods. The bouncy chair and swing are musts (if you ever want to eat breakfast, clean, take a shower).