Sunday, September 9, 2007

4 weeks, 6 days

The ticker that is made at various web sites all like to say that I am 4 weeks, 6 days pregnant. I like to say that I am in my 5th week and about to start my 6th week. All these counting methods make me dizzy. So, I will say that I am going to start my 6th week tomorrow and that is how I am gonna play it.

Overall, I have felt very good. Things I have noticed:

Heartburn.
I need a 30 minute nap everyday.
I really don't want any form of breakfast food.
Fat - free Italian dressing smells like a chemical plant to me.
My gag reflex is triggered by the texture of certain foods: lettuce, almonds, and most recently corn bread.
My sense of smell is picking up. Which isn't a good thing when the dog (or others) let some rip.
I have cramping on and off throughout the day and almost every night. It seems to be reducing.
Constant worry.

The first 12 weeks will be very long and full of worry. We went to the doctor on Thursday and everything was fine. My doctor is awesome. She is very down to earth and believes that if someone is going to miscarry it is going to happen. It is extremely rare that mothers cause a miscarriage. It is almost always genetic. She told us not to worry and know that if it does happen, there is nothing we could have done to stop it.

And, when you think about it that is very true. Some women abuse their bodies during pregnancy (smoking, drinking, drugs, etc..) and still have babies. Sadly, working in education I see the results of many of those situations. I would say that every year I work with a few students who were drug addicted at birth and a few more that are fetal-alcohol babies. Very tough lives for those children and families.

So, my mind is clear on the issue, but of course, I still worry and hope and pray that everything will be okay. The emotional side is very hard to convince to do anything else.

Additionally, M has been great. She takes wonderful care of me and lets me nap as needed. She is very cute about the entire thing. It is quite a fun adventure.

E-

5 comments:

Kim aka Mommy said...

Pregnancy math! Geesh! Who would have thought that could be so confusing?! Plus 2 weeks. Minus 2 weeks. One never knows. LOL

Yay for the awesome doctor! Glad she was able to put your mind at ease...even if just a little.

Thinking of you all often. Thanks for the update.

Melissa said...

Yay 6 weeks! Here's hoping the next 6 are uneventful. Your doctor seems really great.

Unknown said...

Stop the worry, the law of attraction is at work here! We love the fact your having us babies and you are experiencing the growing pains of beautiful little Blessings. You can complain about the strange things your body is doing that's your free ticket and that's as far as it goes. You will remember those things the remainder of your life and along with that sharing with others who have the same experiences. But get the planning side down, the dreaming of what they will look like, what shall we name them (I have the best ideas and remember that book the namesake....who should name the babies!!!) anyway way too many things of joy and happiness to talk about that to worry for 12 weeks. STOP everytime something comes to mind that feels or is a negative thought then stop the thought and say to yourself "Get thee behind me Satin" Because you know having children is hard work and you might as well get started. It's hard work staying on the postive side but oh so worth it all. Besides you have so many family and friends that only have good thoughts, wishes and dreams for both of you. I'm so happy for you and ME!!!!NM

Holly said...

So it begins! LOL!
Lois had a lot of aversions to food and smells. Many, many things made her gag.
Plus, in the beginning, she would have to lie down after taking a shower, blow drying her hair, loading the dishwasher, etc.
Everything was tiring.

Hopefully the m/s feelings will be gone in no time and you will be able to relax and enjoy the pregnancy!

Anonymous said...

SOOOOOOOOOOOO excited for you!!