Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Late Ovulator

Yesterday about 6pm I got a positive OPK. It lit right up and it was obviously positive. I called the doctor. I got nurse H. She was useless.

She literally said to me, "Can you just call the office in the morning...?"
I said, "No, I need to do this early tomorrow morning and I will need to rearrange my entire day. Last time they confirmed my appointment over the phone."
She said, "Well, I will have to call you later."

We tried to enjoy our night. We were excited that it was finally time and we were so ready.

9 p.m. phone rings and it is nurse H., "Hi, yes, you are confirmed for 8:30 in the Southern office."
I said, "We don't go to the Southern office we go to the Northern office."
Nurse H "Well, you will need to come to the Southern office."
Me: "Well, that isn't going to happen because the sperm is at the Northern office."
Nurse H: "Oh. I will have to call you back."
Me: No shit. (No, Mother, I didn't actually say 'no shit' to her. I wanted to though.)

Finally, she calls back and we are all set for 9:30 a.m. at the Northern office.

We go to work this morning and rush through the two hours we are there. M comes and picks me up and we are off to the clinic. We are excited, but not as nervous as last time. We know what to expect which is awesome. We go in, start the paperwork, read, giggle, laugh, smile, and then perky nurse T comes to get us. Vitals, disrobe, up on the table, check the sperm, same doctor as last time, complete the procedure, and viola. We are done. We are expecting our 10 minutes of private time to talk, smile, etc... HOWEVER....

The doctor takes this time (our 10 minutes) to talk about our treatment plan. He basically says that I am a late ovulator and he doesn't like it. He isn't saying it won't work, but we might need to create a better environment for my eggs and lining. He suggested we consider 1. An HSG test (expensive and time consuming -- 2 weeks on the pill) and 2. Clomid (drug) to create a cycle (expensive).

Then we go out to leave and they ask us to pay. I say, "Nope, our insurance pays." But, of course there is problem with the insurance and them only paying for 1 IUI. Great. We pay and I vow to cuss out everyone at the insurance company.

M said it best. She feels cheated. We feel like we spent $500.00 to be told:
1. You ovulated too late and you probably didn't produce a good egg.
2. We did the IUI anyways before telling you that.
3. It is going to cost you more money than you thought.
4. And, of course as we left they said, "Good luck!"

Welcome to the TWW.

E-

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a very unfair situation! $500 is a lot to throw at a cycle that might not be a good one... I would like to say that clomiphene (the generic) isn't too expensive. I think it's $25 for five days of 50mg doses. At my most, I was on 150mg, which put the cost at $75 for the month. I don't know how much the branded product costs, but the generic isn't too bad.