Tuesday, May 15, 2007

consumer reports

E and I are big fans of information. We don't make many decisions before doing some research. We want to buy some picture frames...where are they on sale? We might need a new car...which ones are safe and affordable? We read books, blogs, newspapers and magazines and watch tv and movies. We talk to people. 99% of the time we are very confident that we are making good choices, purchasing good products, and getting the best for our money.

Today, I felt like I was forced to be a bad consumer. (Read E's blog for the whole story.) I felt like we did all of our homework. We waited for E to surge. We kept track of days. We peed on sticks. Then, we get done with the doctor and are told our chances are reduced and we need to get out the checkbook. As smart consumers we would have asked what the chances are it would work and made a smart decision. I don't think the doctor did his homework. If you have to have a conversation with us about other options, don't do it when we're in the hopeful glow of "this time it might work." Call us after it doesn't work. The insurance company could have pointed out the language that said, "one shot only." (I'm not sure yet that that language exists.)

So, yes, I feel cheated. I don't want guarantees. I want hope. I am going to talk to lazy lefty now. I believe in her.

m

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Egads, ladies. I'm so sorry you had this not-so-pleasant surprise. We, too, had been told that insurance would cover most, if not all, of our procedures. To take away a bit of the sting, it does appear like they will take care of A scan, and perhaps A foot we step into the office. But for planners like us (I consumer reported pregnancy tests!), it's a horrible blow to the stomach. Hang in there!!

Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised you feel cheated! That's extremely poor practise in my book! If your doc is of the opinion that it isn't going to work bcause of X, Y or Z then he absolutely should have told you before going ahead, and let you make the decision. It's adding insult to injury that you had to stump up for part of the cost (they could have told you that beforehand too!) I wouldn't imagine the insurance company would be best pleased with him either!

Is he planning to give you a more detailed explanation of why he thinks what he does?