Sunday, July 22, 2007

lending a helping hand

We had no idea what to expect from this clinic and we didn't choose it because initially it didn't seem as nice. It was busy, older, and the rooms were small. But today, we had a great experience.

E called this morning, talked to the PA and we got to choose a time. We met at a clinic on the other side of town. We walked into a beautiful building. There were very few cars in the parking lot and when we got to our floor, we were the only ones there. The PA came out, gave us a warm smile and a good handshake, and took us to a room. It was clean and quiet. The PA was very nice and professional.

After we got settled, she came back and said, "The sperm like to stay warm. Here." Then she handed me the vial. Totally great. Given that I can't be really involved, it was great to even hold the vial. She left again and I was all grins. So was E. She returned with the syringe and catheter...and asked if I wanted to help. I know that is sometimes an option, but I hadn't been asked at the other clinic. I never thought much about it. The second she said it though, I knew I wanted to. So, after everything was ready, I got to push the plunger on the syringe to start the little guys on their way. The process wasn't gross or weird. For the first time I really felt part of everything.

The PA said she had to do some work in her office around the corner and we were welcome to stay as long as we liked. We stayed for about 15 minutes talking and enjoying our peace and quiet. No one asked about payment or what to do if it doesn't work. No one made small talk. If it works this time, we will have a wonderful memory of how it all came about.

On the way to the clinic this morning we had to run a couple errands. Fortunately, we had plenty of time because we drove right into the gay pride parade. We pulled over and watched the whole thing...fun. At our second stop, I had to explain that E was my partner so I could pick up an order. This is why I can't live anywhere else. Watching a gay parade, talking openly about my partner, and then helping to inseminate her.

m

P.S. As I was writing this, E said, "I just had a sharp left ovary pain." Excellent timing.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Sounds like perfect timing and a great day! FX

Kim aka Mommy said...

Good luck ladies! Our fingers are crossed for ya.