Sunday, February 11, 2007

My committed partner

What do we call each other? That is always a hard question.

Lover, partner, wife, girlfriend, friend, or as my father once described it "very, very, very, very special friends." And, when does the line move from "girlfriend" to "partner" or "wife"? We have decided we don't know and we really don't care. Wife seems like a role more than a definition of a relationship. Partner seems like we are in a firm together. Girlfriend sounds like we just met or we are just friends. Lover is just too bold. So, we don't care. We are E and M and that is all there is.

We have decided that we are committed to each other and to our future family. We recently gave each other amazing rings, but not at the same time and not in some ceremony. We each gave each other the rings, in our own way, in our own time. There was no deadline or start date...just an agreement that we would create a symbol for the other to wear as a constant reminder that we are together. They are different and perfect.

The baby front: We are in a holding pattern. We were hoping to start trying in April, but my ovulation is like clockwork and therefore the timing might not be right. In our line of work there are times that aren't perfect for having a baby. A baby being born the end of December is hard for us, so January is much more agreeable. Now, with that said...if we are still trying this time next year...I am sure I won't give a rip when the child is born, but considering at first we weren't going to try at all until August...April or May seems like a good head start.

E-

4 comments:

Marci said...

Yeah, I know what you mean by timing. At first it was , "Okay if I have the baby this month then..." But we have been at it for about a year now, so anytime would be great now!!!

I wish you both much luck, you sound like the perfect type of people to be raising a child!

Kim aka Mommy said...

Wow! You took the words right out of my mouth. Thats what my post today was going to be about....rings. Ive yet to write it but when I do and you read it...dont think I copied you. LOL But what you wrote is what I was thinking. I read yours to M and she said that sounds perfect and to post it. I had to break it to her that I didnt write it. :o)

Kim aka Mommy said...

You took the words right out of my mouth. My post today is going be about rings as well. What you wrote is exactly what I would have written. I guess Ill have to mix it up a litte now huh? LOL I read your post to M and she said it sounded great and to post it. I had to break it to her I didnt write it. :o)

Unknown said...

I could use a wife, always told Dad sure you can get a girl on the side as long as she does dishes, laundry, cook and clean...So guess it depends on what stage your life is in what wife means to yourself and another. I've always wanted to be really cool about introductions of E's MATE, when I said this is my daughters, it got confussing because they thought I only had 3 girls, when then I got bold and said partner of course that left a bit unsaid if I was talking to someone who didn't know the partner wasn't male. So when the worldly answer comes let me know because I'm sure I want be the one to figure it out. I have trouble with a traditional one...who at 54 has a boyfriend....sounds so high schoolish, then special friend sounds like they are challenged.... and next pet names are so NOT me....so you are right it's the realationship and how it forms and evolves that is going to set the tone of what is right for you both. The rings are a wonderful exchange and symbol of love.... thank goodness we are set on what baby will call me......NM.....