Monday, June 16, 2008

Random Thoughts of a New Mom

EG is sleeping in her car seat after a morning walk with the dog, so I thought I would take advantage of the moments of peace to documents some random thoughts over the past month.

*  A great hospital memory:  When we were still in the hospital M would climb into my luxury hospital bed and we would take EG out of her bassinet, and we would all three sleep together in that little bed.  Snuggled up.  We were all blissfully happy.  It was also the beginning of our "co-sleeping" which we had no intention of doing, but it happens.

*  EG is transitioning to her actual bassinet.  She is good in it for a couple of hours, but then she demands to get in the "big bed" with her mommas.  We have worked out a much better night routine for her where we both take turns feeding her, and we do it in the nursery as opposed to our room.  This allows a more peaceful place for EG and allows the other Mom to sleep peacefully.

*  We have had horrible flooding just north of us and we had to go to a wedding in a town that was almost an island due to the flooding.  We drove north to go back south into order to "cross the river" at a bridge that wasn't flooded out.  We were late to the wedding.  Our first big family affair and we were going to be late with little EG.  We get to the church 10 minutes late, dress EG in the car, M changes pants in the car, I am putting on my shirt and buttoning it as we rush through the church's courtyard and we finally get into the church.  They hadn't started because lots of people were late, but we still had to be seated in front of everyone.  EG was perfect during the service, but M did have to take her out to burp her.  While they were gone I looked down and realized I forgot to put on my heels.  I was sitting in a beautiful church in long black pants with a nice white top and my cheap black Target flip-flops.  In all the rush I forget to change my shoes.  Baby has the brain.

*  Tim Russert died.  I just can't believe it.  He taught me so much about politics.  I Tivo and watch Meet the Press every Sunday.  I don't believe any other commentator except Tim.  It is also hard because my father taught me to watch political shows and listen to both sides.  In some ways, it is a connection to my father who died this month three years ago.   Ironic that Tim also died in June. 

*  Baby Blues.  They still come and go, but for the most part they are much better.  I still have moments of panic and fear, but they pass quickly.  EG is so much better and we are so much smarter now.

*  M.  She is still my rock.  It is a challenge to raise a baby, but M has risen to the challenge and has done a great job.  She takes excellent care of EG and me.  We love her.

So there -- my random thoughts for the day...

E-

3 comments:

Heather said...

random thoughts are always good.. I'm glad that you and EG are feeling better.

loved the flip-flop part, at least they were black and matched! I could of been worse...

Anonymous said...

Love the random thoughts! My best to you all and I look forward to all your new posts.

Anonymous said...

Great random thoughts :)

Ps. I'm so sad about Tim too.