Wednesday, October 17, 2007

1st OB appt.

We went to our first official OB appointment yesterday. We waited for almost an hour to leave the waiting room. This is the second time we have had to wait a long time. I asked the nurse "Does she always run this behind schedule?" The nurse claims she doesn't, but I have yet to see that. We really love the doctor, but the clinic is so slllooowww.

We also had a "student teacher" nurse which was quite fun. As educators we got a kick out of watching the tenured nurse teach the baby nurse how to ask us all the crazy questions like - "Have you been using street drugs?" or "Have you or anyone in your family had (insert every known disease here)?" The nurses left, I changed and in came Dr. E.

Dr. E. is about 57 year old, tough as nails, and very focused when meeting with us. She answered every question completely and spent almost 45 minutes with us yesterday. We chose her because she is so tough. I need someone who can boss me around and that list is usually pretty short. She gave me a physical exam and listened for the heartbeat. Nothing. Nada. I had a noisy placenta, but she couldn't find the heartbeat. When she was done trying she said, "I'll have you come back in seven days and we will listen again - it is still early. Or, I could order an ultrasound." We said, "Yes, please...the ultrasound." She said, "Yeah, I thought that would be your answer." See -- that is what I like. She gets it that we are 1st timers who spent a fortune on this kid already.

This morning I called the ultrasound place, and they said I could come in this morning at 9:30a.m. or next Thursday afternoon. Of course, we both promptly left school and went to see the cool funny looking pictures.

The baby is doing great. It has arms and legs. Its heart was pounding away and it was bouncing all around the uterus. Wild to see and know that it is happening inside of you. We were both thrilled. Baby is just over 1 inch and is measuring perfect.

We started telling people today and that is a kick.

1 comment:

Kim aka Mommy said...

Yay for a bouncing baby with a pounding heartbeat! That's so exciting! We're hoping to see that tomorrow too.

Sorry you had to wait so long...hopefully they will get their act together.

We can't wait to tell people! FUN!