Saturday, August 30, 2008

Mantras and giggles

EG has been stuck in her 3 month growth spurt for over a week.  It began on the heels of our return from visiting family and has been making life harder for all of us.  She started getting up during the night to eat, has not been her usual smiley self and cried her mantra cry frequently.  She's finally settling back into her old routines a bit...napping regularly and waking up happier.  Today she truly giggled for the first time.  She has figured out how to suck in a big gulp of air and we think it naturally led to a giggle which she then repeated several times for our listening pleasure.  Sweet!  It's a great giggle.

I was repeating a mantra of my own today.  I used to be a pretty good softball player, but E had never seen me play.  My sister-in-law asked me to play in a tournament this weekend to raise money for cancer research.  E and I both thought it was a good chance for her to see me play and for me to get to see a bunch of old friends.  Sure enough I saw tons of people from the good old softball days who all teased me about being too old for this.  My mantra:  I just don't want to get hurt.  Being the old softball player I am, I dove for a ball, twisted my hand wrong and now have three broken bones in it.  So much for mantras.  I will have to experiment with new ways of picking up and playing with EG.  The good news is that it's my right hand and I'm a lefty.  And, nothing out of place.  And, no cast.    

And,  I have a wonderful partner who wanted to know more of me.  And, EG giggled today.

m

1 comment:

Heather said...

ouch!! A broken hand does not sound like fun... I hope that it heals fast! Maybe you should take up a easier sport for the elderly...maybe knitting will be safer? haha. I don't think that knitting is a sport..